On June 24th 1934, a Franciscan priest, Fr. Father Hubert Perron, dedicated the little church of Anderson Road, with 18 families, to St. Theresa of the Child Jesus. The land was donated by a parishioner, Mr. Joe Lanto who is now buried in the adjoining cemetery.
At that period the Franciscans who served the surrounding parishes lived in the monastery at Aroostook, NB and would come to their respective parishes every week end.
In 1937, Father Firmin Lachapelle replaced our founding Father and changed the manner of serving the parishes as well. He is credited with initiating the idea of priests residing in their designated parishes seven days a week. He was pastor of Blue Bell and Anderson Road for 20 years and was the last Franciscan here.
From 1957 to 1966, the Diocese of Edmundston provided three priests:
Since 1966 we have been pastored by priests of the Voluntas Dei Institute:
In June, 1994, we celebrated the 60th anniversary of this parish, recalling the many blessings of the past. A special tribute is extended to Father Louis Pearson, our pastor of 17 years who inspired and encouraged us in the building of our new church. It was dedicated in June 1986.
A forty year tradition that has developed is the early "Family Day" festivities held on the third Sunday of July. Activities and special functions are geared to each age-group of the family, enabling everyone to participate and enjoy their day. It has become part of our heritage. This day has also become a means whereby we have supported the church and progressed where we are today.
Our dramatic years have enriched our history. Yet we are indebted to the founders who initiated the challenge.
Pastors and Administrators since 1996:
Reference: Souvenir book commemorating the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the Diocese of Edmundston, published by the Madawaska Historical Society Revue (Vol. XXIII, Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4), 1995.
Photos: Contributions, Google